Sunday, January 10, 2010

Off to a great start

Week one of Forty for 40 is in the books. There was a moment earlier this week where I truly wondered what I'd gotten myself into...and why on earth I had decided to post a blog for the world to see whether or not I actually accomplish my goals.

Fortunately, that moment passed quickly. The truth is, I didn't really think anyone would read the blog, except maybe a few of my closest friends and family. Receiving positive comments and kudos from people I didn't expect has been a wonderful gift, and a powerful motivator. I appreciate each of you who has taken the time to share a comment, or told me I've given you a dose of inspiration. Knowing you're out there is making this even more rewarding, even just one week in.

Here's what I've accomplished so far toward my Forty for 40 list:
-lost 6 lbs (and 2.5 inches)
-exercised 40 minutes every day except one (and believe me, I needed the rest that day!)
-booked my fitness vacation. I'll be spending a week at Fitness Ridge (aka the Biggest Loser Resort) in southern Utah in early September.
-1/3 of the way through Corelli's Mandolin from my reading list
-written my "40 things I like about myself" list
-committed one random act of kindness
-received my first $40 donation to the Ronald McDonald House of Portland (thanks again to my wonderful sister for helping get this started!)
-registered for the 5K I'll be doing with my dad in June
-downloaded 20 new songs/artists suggested by my friends (listening to them right now--love them!!)
-meditated every day..still working on getting to 40 minutes a day, but I'm trying!
-written about 10 pages toward my goal of 40 for the month
-transferred an extra $40 to a separate savings account
-filled out an application to volunteer as a mentor at LearningWorks, an organization in Portland that provides support to at-risk teens and immigrants. My interview is Friday!

4 comments:

  1. holy shit. am i allowed to swear on here??

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..To follow that vulgar comment up. . . you should be so proud of yourself.
    My Brownie troop did a volunteer project at LearningWorks for the holiday season - great place and Susannah Kerest is a great woman - she was my contact there.
    Love the vaca and that you "COMMITTED" a random act of kindness. I am just so inspired and loving your ideas. 2.5 INCHES...you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Beth...your comments mean a lot!! Glad to hear the good feedback about LearningWorks. My company collected games, etc for their Family Game night that they did around the holidays, and it sounded like a great organization. I'm applying to be part of their brand new mentoring program...I think it's going to be challenging and fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a great time at Learningworks.
    Check out our blog and see pics!

    http://brownies1529.blogspot.com/2009/12/game-night.html

    My daughter is the only goober with a beanie on!

    ReplyDelete