Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Making sense of it all

I have the best friends...everyone has been SO supportive of this "Forty for 40" idea, which makes it that much more fun for me (not to mention, holds me more accountable to accomplish everything, knowing others are watching!)

While the significance of many of the 40 things on my list are self-explanatory (lose 40 lbs, faster run times, etc.) some may seem a little strange to anyone but me (which, of course, is part of the point--this is a challenge for myself, a list of things of personal significance). Still, in case you're curious, I thought I'd explain a few of them (this will also help me remember when I say, "What was I thinking?" later on...)

Go with my mom to the cemetery on Memorial Day
Every year, my mom goes to the cemeteries in her home town to put flowers on the gravestones of our long-passed family. Some--my grandparents--I remember, but many others I never knew, though I've heard stories over the years so their names are familiar. I want to share in this special tradition, so I can carry it on for my mom when the time comes (hopefully MANY years in the future).

Knit a pair of socks as a gift for someone special
Even though I knit all the time, I rarely make things for other people. In thinking about it, I realize I get too attached to my work--I don't want to let it go. I read somewhere that handmade socks are the ultimate gift of love---you work painstakingly on something that will, inevitably, wear out over time. Making a pair of socks for someone I love (will YOU be the lucky recipient?) and being able to let go has some symbolic appeal for me.

You can see there are a few other items in the "letting go" category (decluttering my home, giving away something of sentimental value, giving up TV for 40 days). I want to start my 40s unburdened of emotional and physical baggage.

Have portrait photographs taken of me
This one, ironically, will be one of the hardest ones for me to do. I hate having my picture taken because I always see my flaws--so the challenge is to see myself as I am without being overly critical. If I can pull that one off, this entire exercise will have been a success!

Curious about any of the other things on my list? Let me know and I'll do my best to explain. Thanks again to everyone who's shared an encouraging word, or passed along a book or music. It means more to me than you can imagine.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year, Jen! Here's my 40 for 40 playist for you!! These are just 40 of my current favorite songs that aren;t from the 80's!(I'd be happy to burn it to CD's for you if you'd like!)

    1. Pieces The Bridges
    2. I Gotta Feeling Black Eyed Peas
    3. Use Somebody Kings of Leon
    4. Fallin' for You Colbie Caillat
    5. Show Me What I'm Looking for Carolina Liar
    6. I'm Yours Jason Mraz
    7. Love Story Taylor Swift
    8. The Resolution Jack's Mannequin
    9. Electric Feel MGMT
    10. My Never Blue October
    11. Satellite Heart Anya Marina
    12. Friends Band of Skulls
    13. Possibility Lykke Li
    14. Hey, Soul Sister Train
    15. Smile Uncle Kracker
    16. You and Me Dave Matthews Band
    17. Already Gone Kelly Clarkson
    18. Enjoy the Silence Anberlin (cover of Depeche Mode)
    19. French Navy Camera Obscura
    20. Somebody to Love (Glee Cast Version)Glee Cast
    21. Don't Stop Believin' (Glee Cast Version)Glee Cast
    22. All the Right Moves OneRepublic
    23. Sweet Dreams Beyoncé
    24. Don't Stand So Close to Me / Young Girl (Glee Cast Version) Glee Cast
    25. TiK ToK Ke$ha (don't necessarily agree with the lyrics, but it's an infectious song!)
    26. Bad Romance Lady GaGa
    27. Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys) Jay-Z
    28. Down (feat. Lil Wayne)Jay Sean
    29. Sex On Fire Kings of Leon
    30. Evacuate the Dancefloor Cascada
    31. Heartbreak Warfare John Mayer
    32. F**k You Lily Allen (LOVE this song for whenever I'm in a MOOD!)
    33. Supermassive Black Hole Muse
    34. Decode Paramore
    35. Buzzin' Shwayze
    36. Hollywood The Veronicas
    37. I Will Possess Your Heart Death Cab For Cutie
    38. Unwritten Natasha Bedingfield
    39. Shut Up & Let Me Go The Ting Tings
    40. Stay SafetySuit

    ReplyDelete